Thursday, June 14, 2012

6/14/12 More metal work and another test question

Still doing metal workings. Really anxious to do something different, like painting or maybe tire fitting.

The tire in this picture is from my 37 Ford which I've installed to see how a 235/70x15 will look on the back of my 33. Not too bad. Fits the fender radius quite well.


The tire needs to be completely inside the fender to prevent rubbing while turning, uneven roads conditions and all out extreme acceleration, which might happen.


Top view showing the tire just inside the fender. There rims are Hildbrand 15x8 with a 3.5" offset.


I've placed the engine cover on and can see the fit along the back, especially in the area of the curved corners isn't what I would like to end with. The radius of the cowl and the radius of the hood are completely different. If I simply change the radius of the hood to match the radius of the cowl the beltlines will not align.


This picture really shows the different radius of the hood vs the cowl. The distance from the left beltline to the right beltline on the hood is shorter than the beltline to beltline measurement on the cowl. Only one thing to do........make the hood wider.

I've draw my cut lines with two additional parallel lines to be used for measurements purposes (4" apart) on each side of the hood. I can bet that some engineers out there are probably wondering why I don't just make one cut down the center of the hood, combine the distances I need to add and thereby only have to make one addition instead of one on each side. OK it's test time again. Why would I not make the single cut in the center of the hood and reduce my work by one half?


After the cut has been made.
With a  lot of trial and a lot of error I've added a small spacer of 3/8"


 

The spacer is now tack welded into place.


After a lot more trial and a lot more error I've settled on a spacer of 3/16"


Now this is a workable fit between the hood and the cowl. Although most of these pictures are of the drivers side, the same work has been accomplished on the passengers side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment